Monday, October 09, 2006

Faith, Politics, and Policy Conference

I heard Jim Wallis (of Sojourners) speak this afternoon at the Faith, Politics, and Policy conference at Candler. He mostly reiterated many of his arguments in “God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets it Wrong and the Left Just Doesn’t Get it.” He did give many hopeful stories about meeting younger and younger teens/children at his speaking engagements (who were not there just because of their parents). He quoted an 8 year old saying, “I asked here what made sense to her today in what I said. She responded, ‘Well, you talked about so many people being poor and I just figured that if I’m a Christian then I ought to do something about it.’ I hope that was true!

In a breakout session Dr. Mary Elizabeth Moore and Dr. Carol Lakey Hess spoke of the spiritual practice of narrativity as a way of experiencing the other in such a way that our perspectives are expanded. So, sharing stories with respect and love is a model for political awareness and collaboration.

1 comment:

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.